In Years Past

In 1913, the Adelphian society of the Unitarian Church in Jamestown entertained about 35 couples at a dancing party in Garage Hall on Monday evening. The hall was prettily decorated in the national colors and flags were used in profusion with bunting and crepe paper. A.C. Bratt’s orchestra furnished an excellent program of dance music beginning at 9 o’clock and continuing until 1 in the morning. Refreshments consisting of punch and wafers were served during the evening.

One of the first of the Wagner-Smith factory investigation commission bills, Assemblyman Edward D. Jackson’s measure, prohibiting night work for women, passed the senate in Albany the previous night and would next go to the governor. During its investigation the Wagner-Smith commission was responsible for revelations which showed in some cases women worked all night while their husbands remained home and looked after the children. The Jackson bill provided that no woman should be employed or permitted to work in any factory in this state before 6 o’clock a.m. or after 10 p.m. of any day.

In 1938, slightly scarred but otherwise not much the worse for wear, the public servants rallied bravely this day from their annual ribbing at the hands of legislative correspondents in Albany. The correspondents pulled no punches as they rollicked through their show, “Sock-a-Bye-Baby,” a burlesque of New York politics and statecraft. With gay music and pointed ditties, the writers parodied the gubernatorial fight in prize ring language and sent Robert H. “Bustem” Jackson out of the scramble feet first, leaving Governor “Herbie” Lehman the “winnah and still champion.” Jackson, despite strenuous conditioning by Manager “Yusell” Roosevelt, never even got into the ring

Lengthy investigation into a nitroglycerin explosion which killed two men and demolished the Eastern Producers Glycerin plant near Bradford, Pa., had failed to throw any light on the cause of the disaster. Dead were Dan H. McQueeney, president of the company and Ralph Mong, shooter for the firm. The blast, which left little of the single story frame factory intact, could have been caused in “one of a hundred different ways,” stated Deputy Coroner George Lull. Between 600 and 800 quarts of prepared explosive probably were in the plant at the time, it was estimated. It was believed nobody else was near the site at the time of the blast. It was believed the men were in the ?making? room of the plant as they had intended to make four runs of more than 250 quarts each of explosive.

In 1963, a snip of a red ribbon at 10 a.m. officially opened Jamestown’s 300-car Main Street Parking Ramp, following a dedication breakfast in the Hotel Jamestown. Approximately 100 businessmen, city and ramp officials attended ceremonies culminating more than three years work in providing central downtown parking in the $800,000 structure. A total of 1,576 cars and more than 6,000 persons wound through the four-level building at a public “drive-through.” Former Mayor Carl F. Sanford, a guest at the ceremonies, said he hoped the ramp project was “not an end but a beginning of future similar projects for the good of this community.”

Mystery continued to shroud the 18-hour disappearance of a boy who was found at the home of an 87-year-old neighbor in Olean. Approximately 500 persons took part in the hunt for the youngster. Five-year-old John Anderson Jr., walked down the stairs from the second floor of the home of Mrs. John Murphy while her daughter-in-law was talking to her. He had not been mistreated. The boy’s father said he thought his son had been “lured into Mrs. Murphy’s home.” and was “locked in a room while the search was taking place.” The boy had gone to play in the snow Friday after he returned from his morning kindergarten class. His mother reported him missing four hours later.

In 1988, the Albany headquarters of the state Department of Transportation had backed the design of a Route 394 improvement project that included a five-lane segment in West Ellicott. Despite the reaffirmation of the design, Dr. Maurice B. Furlong of the Committee for the Preservation of Route 394 told The Post-Journal, “We’re not going to let them do it. We’re going to the federal highway department. In fact, we already have. We’re meeting with Stan Lundine next week as the next step.”

Gov. Mario Cuomo repeated his pledge not to run for president and called on Democratic candidates to support the man who would take the most delegates into the convention. “Whoever it is, make him the candidate,” Cuomo said. “If Mike Dukakis has 41 percent, get everybody together in a room and say, “Jesse, Gore, Gephardt, you came close, but Mike’s the candidate.” Why is 51 percent the magic number? Let’s pick the guy who’s ahead after California,” Cuomo said at a news conference in his Manhattan office.