Cassadaga Volunteer Fire Department
The Cassadaga Volunteer Fire Department is like many community volunteer fire departments in our area, staffed with individuals that have a passion for their community and in doing what they can to protect it. The Cassadaga Volunteer Fire Department has been in existence since 1924 making the department 89 years old.
The Cassadaga Volunteer Fire Department is comprised of dedicated individuals that do the best they can to take care of the community in which they live. The department has 54 members, both men and women, with 18 serving as interior firefighters and six as EMTs. The department also has five junior firefighters and 25 auxiliary members. As with any department within our county, the Cassadaga Volunteer Fire Department relies on volunteers. They are always open for new membership and invite you stop by the fire hall to talk with them and pick up an application.
The department has gone from housing its first fire truck at a residence on High Street in the village to its first fire house built in 1925 on the bank of the Cassadaga Creek on the corner of Mill Street and Maple Ave. Part of that building still stands today and serves as storage for the fire department. A new hall and community building was built in 1972 and is where the department still resides today.
The first fire apparatus that the department owned was a hand pumper with a wooden water tank. The fire department members then built the second truck out of a 1913 Model T Ford which was converted into a foam tanker with hose that resembled garden hose. Today the department houses two engines, a tanker, rescue truck, gator, ambulance, and an antique 1933 Chevy pump truck that has been with the department since they bought it new.
Cassadaga Volunteer Fire Department Equipment
E101 – 1987 Young that pumps 2,000 gallon a minute. This is one of the last open cab pieces of Young apparatus manufactured.
E102 – 2008 KME that pumps 2,000 gallons a minute.
T101 – 1997 International with a 2,500 gallon capacity.
R101 – 1996 Horton. It served 14 years as the department ambulance before being converted into a rescue truck.
A101 – 2012 McCoy Miller ambulance.
G101 – 2007 John Deere Gator.
1933 Chevrolet – The truck no longer responds to fires, but it is used in parades. It has been in the department since it was new.