In Years Past

In 1913, the office of the Johnson Ice & Coal Company on West Eighth Street, near the boatlanding in Jamestown, was burglarized some time during the night and the safe blown open. The yeggmen did a clean job and were evidently professionals. They got away with the valuables in the safe, bills, silver, stamps, etc., amounting to something over $400. Nothing else in the office was disturbed. The deed was discovered by Superintendent Cederquist when he opened the offices in the morning. The safe door hung ajar and a pile of old horse blankets in the middle of the floor, together with an unpleasant odor, told the story.

Trousers tighter, tighter than ever, coats shortened and close fitting. These were the 1913 spring styles promised to those men who planned to dress in the mode, according to delegates to the annual convention of the National Association of Merchant Tailors of America, which opened in Cleveland this day. Thin men and fat men would have trouble with the new fashions. Only the athletic ones would be in their glory. Delegates said this was a tribute to the vastly increasing number of athletic-looking, well-built American men.

In 1938, many routine matters were considered and acted upon by the Health and Hospital Board at Jamestown General Hospital. A letter received by Superintendent of Public Health William M. Sill from the State Department of Health was read. It stated that the district office had full cooperation from the health and dairy officials. As to pasteurization of milk, the letter pointed out that there was no municipality of comparable size in the state which showed any better compliance with the provisions of the pasteurization requirements.

A disposition to repair the Arcade building in downtown Jamestown so it would be suitable for continued occupancy, if a purchaser for the structure could not be found, was voiced at a meeting of the city’s tax sale property committee held at City Hall. No definite action was taken with regard to the proposed repairs but that action was inescapable if the property was to remain in the city’s hands. Inspection of the building recently by the committee revealed that a new fire escape and a new roof were necessary.

In 1963, four sisters died under the ice on a lake in Babylon, N.Y. but the oldest – an 11 year old girl – was saved. Paul Barnard, 23, a Suffolk County policeman, saved the girl after hearing her screams. The girls’ father, Frank Corridan, was in another area of the lake, fishing. His wife was at home tending their 6-month-old twin daughters and a 2-year-old son. The five other Corridan children frolicked on the ice 100 yards from Barnard. He heard a scream and saw Lorraine Corridan, 11, clutch desperately at ice forming a hole through which she had slipped. Barnard pulled the hysterical girl to safety. She was screaming that her sisters were under the ice. Hours later, their bodies were brought to the surface. “I never saw the other girls,” Barnard said. “I’ll never forget that day. I’ll never forget it as long as I live.”

David Lee Brainard, 37, of Kennedy, injured in a tractor accident, died Feb. 9 in WCA Hospital. The accident occurred shortly before 5 p.m., Feb. 6 when Mr. Brainard was pinned between the tractor and a bridge abutment as he was clearing ice from under a bridge to avert a possible ice jam or flood. The victim was a member of the Ellington Grange, the Ellington Fire Department and the Ellington Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

In 1988, cold temperatures were making it possible for work to progress steadily on the ice castle at Lakeside Park in Mayville and the structure was expected to be completed in time for Ice Castle Extravaganza activities over the coming weekend. Warm weather during the past few weeks caused two meltdowns, making it necessary to revise plans for the castle somewhat. Festivities would include demonstrations of figure skating and cross country skiing, free snowmobile rides for children and horse-drawn sleigh rides.

Falconer Village Trustee and Public Safety Officer Ken Lyon and Fire Chief Skip Cavallaro examined the Falconer Fire Department’s 1930s alarm system, which was soon to be replaced by an $18,000 computerized system. The system served 24 industries and the village street box alarms.