In Years Past

  • In 1913, the Dunkirk City Clerk had received a letter from Assemblyman John Leo Sullivan that a year previously he had been improperly and corruptly approached and asked to introduce into the state legislature a measure providing for amendment to the city charter so as to provide for an increase in policemen’s salaries. Sullivan stated that he had been offered $200 the past February as a bribe to induce him to secure introduction and passage of the bill. The board of police commissioners had a meeting of investigation late the previous afternoon. Sullivan named Chief F.W. Quandt of the Dunkirk Police force as the man who approached him and made the offer mentioned in the letter.
  • Carlton Kapple died at his home on Hamilton Street in Jamestown on this morning, aged 71 years 6 months and 21 days. Kapple would be remembered as the flagman employed in the summer season to flag the street cars across the old boatlanding bridge when it was a single track and previous to that as a conductor both on the electric cars and before that on the old horse cars. He was for many years Conductor No. 1 and had a remarkably long service with the company.
  • In 1938, permitted to plead guilty to a reduced charge of operating a motor vehicle without a license, Harold Mason, 16, Fredonia, who was at the wheel of an automobile which struck and killed Gladys A. Morrison, a young girl, on Webster Street, Fredonia, the past Sept. 23, was fined $50 by County Judge Lee L. Ottaway at Mayville. The youth who was represented by Glenn W. Woodlin, Dunkirk, was indicted by the county grand jury on a charge of first-degree manslaughter. When the defendant was arraigned by Assistant District Attorney Edwin G. O’Connor, Brocton, that official filed a statement with the court reducing the charge to driving without a license. Judge Ottaway gave the youth a week to pay the fine.
  • The Bemus Point School band not only made a splendid appearance in its new uniforms, which were worn for the first time at Saturday evening’s concert in the school auditorium, but also presented a well prepared program of classical and popular numbers under the direction of Albert W. Harvey, head of the Music department. The smart uniforms and military caps were scarlet and white, the school colors. The scarlet jackets boasted capes lined with white and the costumes were completed with white trousers for the boys and white skirts for the girls. Mr. Harvey’s uniform was of cream-colored flannel with military cap.
  • In 1963, 10 frogs that escaped from the box in which they were being shipped, kept things hopping aboard a Mohawk Airlines plane. The plane had just left Syracuse on a flight from Buffalo to Boston when stewardess Dottie Pratt, 21, of Erie, Pa., was handed a bag by a passenger and told there were three frogs in it. “I opened the bag and what do you know,” said Miss Pratt. “There was this big frog looking at me.” With the encouragement of the 40 human passengers on the plane, Miss Pratt began what was probably the first airborne frog hunt in history. The last frog was rounded up, “over Providence,” she said.
  • A beer drinking party at the home of one of 10 unidentified Dunkirk High School male students the past Friday afternoon during school hours, resulted in their suspension from school. A neighbor reported the incident to school officials and a Dunkirk policeman checked out the report and found the boys at the home of one of the students. Neither parent was home. Superintendent Franklin Hazard sent registered letters to fathers of each of the students requesting a conference on the incident. Two mothers of the boys attempted to speak with the superintendent but he refused. Seven fathers had conferred with Hazard. When the remaining three fathers conferred with the Superintendent, the boys would be taken off suspension.