In Years Past

  • In 1913, Donald Leed of Celoron had a narrow escape from drowning when he broke through thin ice on the lake midway between Celoron and Fluvanna about 5 p.m. the previous evening. He and another lad, neither of them over 14 years of age, were skating off the Celoron shore. They skated towards the open water. Venturing too near the edge while nearly in the middle of the lake, young Leed went through into the water. He and his friend called for help. Their cries attracted the notice of men from Fluvanna. Hurrying out to the spot with a number of planks they laid these on the ice. Then with each man clinging to the next, they crawled out to the boy and dragged him out of the water. The help came none too soon for the boy was nearly exhausted and could not have held up much longer.
  • The excitement continued unabated at the stupendous marketing of the immense bankrupt Hill Piano Co. stock in Jamestown. Many that had no use for a piano were buying, well knowing such an unprecedented opportunity occurred but once. The bargains being snapped up almost every minute were simply astounding. A misleading rumor gained some circulation that only the used and secondhand pianos were subject to the terrific discount in force; many being unable to realize that the almost unbelievable price cuts applied to the strictly new stock. Early in the day the Archer pianos were subjected to quite a run which ended in a literal stampede.
  • In 1938, the worst ice jam in many years thundered over Niagara Falls and the famous international Falls View Bridge began to buckle beneath the ice pressure. Waves appeared in the 1,000-foot span and it was closed to traffic. Girders in the bridge appeared to be twisting badly and spectators reported that the bridge appeared to be leaning slightly downstream. As the jam rose, water and ice rushed into the electric generating station of the Ontario hydro power commission, below the falls. Workmen were driven out, machinery was covered with water and the plant was closed down.
  • There would be no skating on the municipal rink in Jamestown’s Roseland Park this day on account of the recent thaw that melted all ice down to the ground. The surface was being built up by firemen who had flooded the rink, which would probably be ready for skating Thursday evening according to members of the Morton Club who were in charge. Lakewood firemen were busy preparing their lake rink for skating in the evening, hopeful that wind would not make the ice rough as the water froze.
  • In 1963, the Swedish Midsummer Festival for the Jamestown area had been postponed for one year. Majority members of the steering committee felt that more time was needed to assure a successful affair. It was pointed out that a tremendous amount of ground work needed to be done to get the whole community behind the venture. Immediate steps were being made to start the ball rolling for next year’s festivities. Several on the steering committee said that they felt a year should be devoted to preparations to make the festivities attract visitors from surrounding areas.
  • The Jamestown Post Office moved up to 308th place among post offices nationally on the strength of receipts totaling $935,188 during the 1961 calendar year, according to Post Office Department statistics. The increase was $59,660 from 1960 when the local office ranked 322nd. It was rated in 335th place in 1959. Raymond W. Gould was acting Jamestown postmaster.
  • In 1988, temperatures and snow were both expected to drop as the result of the latest winter storm moving into Western New York, according to Meteorologist Ed Reich of the National Weather Service’s Buffalo office. Police in Dunkirk reported snow beginning about 4:40 a.m., followed by very blustery, windy conditions. State Police at Falconer reported the Southern Tier Expressway as slippery, with blowing snow and limited visibility at times
  • A Swede Road family was left homeless when a fire believed caused by a faulty propane furnace destroyed their trailer dwelling while they were away. Panama Third Assistant Chief Theodore Card said he was one of the first at the scene in response to an alarm sounded at 8:54 p.m. and on arrival at the Glenn Waterman trailer found it fully involved in flames, with the roof already collapsed. He said the first concern of the firefighters was to shut off the 300-gallon propane tank which was done before concentrating on controlling the flames. Mutual aid from Ashville was called in. No injuries were reported