In Years Past

  • In 1913, unless there should be a decided change in the situation in the strike of garment workers in Rochester before Jan. 27, there would begin a shutdown of the factories that would throw 12,000 employees out of work and would entail conditions of privation, misery and stagnation of trade unlike any this city had experienced. The manufacturers said they would close down the factories unless the strikers returned to their work unconditionally. The strikers were demanding recognition of the United Garment Makers’ union but the manufacturers said they would not grant this. Both sides of the controversy seemed more firmly entrenched than ever. One faction of the Garment Workers was attempting to bring peace but the factory owners were in no mood to make any concessions.
  • One man was killed and over a score were injured, two probably fatally, in a collision between a trolley passenger train and a freight train on the International railway in Lockport early this day. The dead man was James Mack, motorman of the passenger trolley. The injured were all members of Lockport aerie of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, who were returning from Buffalo, where they had attended an entertainment given by the Buffalo aerie. The freight train was standing on the main line about a half-mile south of the International station. Joseph Crogan, a switchman, was sent back of his train to flag the passenger trolley car. Crogan said he waved his lantern until the cars were almost upon him and he had to jump to save his life.
  • In 1938, New York state Republican Assembly fiscal experts set Feb. 2 for a public hearing on Democratic Gov. Lehman’s tax program as his $385,824,459 budget was given an “informal” airing. Chief discussion at the tax hearing was expected to center on proposed continuance of the four cent emergency gasoline tax. Lehman urged continuance of all emergency levies. Republican Assemblyman Maurice Whitney, chairman of the Assembly taxation committee, said he had received four or five requests for a hearing, most of them from automobile clubs. Organized motorists were leading the fight for elimination of the four cent gas tax.
  • The John J. Guinnane Construction Company, which had been awarded the general contract for remodeling the Hotel Jamestown, had already begun work on the extensive changes to be completed within two months. The first phase of the work was demolition of a section of the south wall of the former cafeteria, which would be made over into a coffee shop. Within a few days a temporary desk would be placed in the lobby, behind which a cocktail lounge would be built. The lounge would connect with the main dining room, which would be redecorated and two new private dining rooms would be made above it. Air conditioning was being installed in the coffee shop, soda grill, dining rooms and cocktail lounge.
  • In 1963, New York state remained locked in a deep freeze for the second day, while wind and snow continued to cripple the Buffalo and Watertown areas. Another frigid night was in prospect. About 150 central schoolchildren were stranded overnight in the village of Philadelphia, north of Watertown, because they could not reach their rural homes. A Greyhound bus with 12 aboard bogged down on Route 12, five miles south of Watertown and the marooned were still there in the morning in temperatures near zero as snowplows battled drifts as deep as 6-8 feet. All of Buffalo’s schools were among the many that remained closed. Also in Buffalo, the Pillsbury flour mill kept its doors shut and the General Mills food packaging plant also closed, both because frozen railroad switches prevented shipments. It was warm in Jamestown. Sunshine and a movement of warmer air sent temperatures up to about 5 degrees above zero throughout most of the area and the mercury was continuing to climb.
  • Jamestown was by far the largest city of the eight or nine in the state that had not yet recognized its wage obligation to police officers, Mayor William D Whitehead said. The mayor, speaking briefly at the Kendall Club’s annual dinner for retired members at Starlite Restaurant, said he regretted that Jamestown did not accord the 5 percent pay raise to all of its employees this year. He added that it was his opinion that this would become a reality within the next year.
  • In 1988, a program designed to help elderly New Yorkers pay their prescription drug bills had attracted less than 8 percent of those eligible statewide. But in Chautauqua County it was a different story. “We had one of the best success rates in the state,” county Office for the Aging Director Francis “Mac” McCoy said, noting that, “Chautauqua County did excellent.” According to the state Health Department’s latest figures, about 37,000 senior citizens applied for the program between July 1987 and Jan. 15 of this year. That was far below the 100,000 applications that program administrators had expected to receive in 1987. But Chautauqua County – with a target of 781 signed into the program by April 1 – had 645 signed up in December, McCoy said.
  • Eastman Kodak Co. expressed confidence in its recent return to the 35mm camera market by introducing two new 35mm cameras, including one that would be made in America. The photographic kingpin, which had abandoned the 35mm format for more than a decade, was hoping to expand its highly successful foray into the market two years ago. The company also introduced a revamped disposable camera. Kodak had dropped out of the 35mm market in 1970 to concentrate on its 126, 110 and disc models.