In Years Past

100 Years Ago

In 1913, the rain, sleet, snow and wind storm of the past 24 hours had wrought havoc with transportation and communication lines in and about Jamestown. “The worst ever,” was a summary of all reports that had come to The Journal. The Jamestown Street Railway Company and the Chautauqua Traction Company were first to creep out from under the weight of what, in ordinary circumstances, was looked upon as “the beautiful snow” but which, in such a storm as raged through the previous night became, to railway, telegraph and telephone lines, a veritable “white plague.” The sweepers and shovelmen were kept busy all night and the big rotary plow was out in service on the traction line. By constant effort, the lines were open for service and the cars were running about on time.

The storm this day put the telegraph and telephone wires out of commission to such an extent that it was not until nearly 3 p.m. that any Associated Press dispatches were received by The Journal. On that account, the press reports that appear in The Journal for this afternoon are much curtailed.

75 Years Ago

In 1938, John McDonald, 33, advertising solicitor for the Erie, Pa, Dispatch-Herald and Mrs. Irene Fry, 32, billing clerk employed on that newspaper, were both instantly killed while on their way to work when an automobile in which they were riding was struck by a New York Central Railroad train on the Cemetery Road crossing about a mile west of Erie. McDonald was educated in Ss. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic parochial school of Jamestown and was graduated from Jamestown High School. He had been employed on the Erie paper since the past August. The remains had been brought to Jamestown and were at the Boyd Funeral Home.

Salamanca was again without a mayor. Mayor Daniel J. Flanigan, who was held over on account of the recent sudden death of Mayor-elect Vern C. Randolph, resigned at Monday night’s organization meeting of City Council. Flanigan submitted his written resignation, in which he thanked the council members for asking him to continue as mayor for the ensuing year. Flanigan, in his letter, cited the fact that his business activities required all of his time.

50 Years Ago

In 1963, Buffalo policeman George Howes, who was fired on by an unemployed Buffalo steelworker, was a cousin of town of Carroll police officer Robert Payne. Buffalo authorities said Patrolman Howes and another policeman stopped Willie Lester, 29, to ask him why he was carrying a .22 caliber rifle on his shoulder in a Buffalo residential neighborhood. According to police, Lester fired at Howes then was trapped in a doorway of a two-family house, where he was fatally wounded during an exchange of gunfire. During the shooting, a bullet pierced the hat of Patrolman Howes. Police said they did not know what prompted Lester to shoot.

A 17-year-old crippled girl whose Christmas wish was for a wristwatch, enjoyed her happiest Christmas when the Baldwin Jewelry Store donated the watch as a contribution to The Post-Journal Christmas Happiness Fund. “She was thrilled and I am so happy,” wrote her mother. The girl had never been able to write her own thank-you notes, or even to venture any distance from home. Although the gifts sent to another family brought them joy at Christmas, it was shortlived when the youngest boy died Dec. 30 after five days in hospital. He wore his “big boy” pajamas sent by the Happiness fund only once, his mother wrote.

25 Years Ago

In 1988, it seemed that “getting back to basics” was not as easy as one might imagine Ten years ago the emphasis in education was returning from new math to plain old arithmetic The pressure to teach the three R’s was back in the classroom. But in this day’s world, where third-graders were familiar with computers, and laser discs were used by high school students, the definition of “basic” could be difficult to determine. Instead, attention seemed to be directed toward how a student learned, rather than what was learned.

The new Internal Revenue Service 1040 forms for filing 1987 income tax returns were beginning to arrive at homes in the area and they contained some changes, which meant residents should file earlier this year. Michael Basile, pubic relations officer with the Buffalo office of the IRS, commented, “Well, there are changes, but they shouldn’t be a shock to anyone.”